People of 20four7VA: Joan
Welcome to the People of 20four7VA series! Every month, we chat with a member of the team and find out what they do at 20four7VA, what keeps them here, and how they make remote work work.
Joan Bañez, our Business Development Manager, has a knack for connecting with clients and showing them how virtual assistants can be the solution to their productivity and staffing challenges. Joan works with the Client Services, Recruitment, Digital Marketing, and IT Marketing teams to develop and implement strategies to build partnerships, improve company visibility, and drive growth. She’s the glue that holds these teams together and is one of the pillars of our organization.
In her spare time, Joan likes to travel, get lost in books and movies, and spend time at the beach. “I will neither confirm nor deny if I love bags, shoes, and retail therapy,” she added. Let’s learn more about Joan!
What do you do at 20four7VA?
It’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what we do in Business Development, as we are part and parcel of all the components and departments of the company. Any department can be correlated to Business Development as one piece of a puzzle that creates a wheel that works — a wheel that is sustainable for the owners, the employees, and the company.
But one of my main roles is to provide consultations to those who need help hiring offshore remote talent. I help them navigate the whole universe of virtual staffing.
What excites you about working with 20four7VA?
It’s being able to meet people from all over the world and getting to know them better through their pain points and challenges. Learning that they hired and believed in the process is what excites me the most.
What’s one thing that people should know about outsourcing/virtual staffing?
That there is a lot of talent out there, and we’re making it easy for business owners to tap into that talent pool while avoiding the stress of sourcing, screening, assessing, and training.
What are your top 3 tips for successful outsourcing/virtual staffing?
- Be open and transparent about the challenges you’re encountering. From there, you’ll be able to determine if you’re ready to delegate.
- Be clear about the results you want or the tasks you want the VA to do for you. Set realistic expectations in the same way you would if you were hiring an onsite employee.
- Choose a staffing platform that values its relationship with clients and will be with you for the long haul. (Hint: that’s us!)
What’s one thing that every VA/remote worker has to know?
If you are applying, remember that VA/remote work is essentially the same as working onsite in terms of the expected level of productivity and professionalism. For instance, even if you’re at home, you shouldn’t show up to interviews looking like you just rolled out of bed. Be mindful of how you present yourself.
If you are already a remote worker/VA, you know that a stable internet connection is your best friend. Invest in one.
What are your top 3 remote work tips?
- If possible, set up a designated workspace so that you have well-defined zones at home for work and play. If this isn’t possible, take steps to avoid distractions and make sure you can still focus on your work.
- Regularly communicate with your client and points of contact. This allows you to build camaraderie and goodwill.
- Find joy in what you do and nurture it. If you love what you do, you won’t ever have to work a day in your life, as they say.
What made you decide to work with 20four7VA?
My previous job involved lots of traveling, so I was basically on a hybrid work schedule – sometimes office-based, other times WFA (work from anywhere). While it was often tiring, I didn’t mind all the trips as the places I went to were mostly travel destinations. Then the pandemic hit, and working remotely was no longer just a “what if?” – it became a necessity. Fortunately, I found 20four7VA, where I saw the power women held in all facets of the company, and I’m all for that kind of equality.
What’s a motto or philosophy you live by?
As above, so below.
Thanks for taking the time to speak with us, Joan! 😊
If you’re passionate about remote work and are excited about working with a company that aims to remove the geographical boundaries to starting a meaningful career, we’d love to work with you! Want to learn more about 20four7VA? Ask away!