SEO Best Practices Cheat Sheet for First-Time Bloggers
Even with the rise of live video streaming and reports about the decreasing attention span of online users, blogging has managed to retain its popularity. Even in the online business marketing landscape, blogging tops social media in terms of content marketing. No wonder millions of people have flocked to different blogging websites!
It can get intimidating to penetrate such a dense platform. That’s why you need to know how to create a blog that has a balance of creativity and practicality in terms of SEO (search engine optimization).
If you are starting an online business or want to test your writing prowess in blogging, check out this SEO best practices cheat sheet for first-time bloggers:
Know which blogging platform is right for you.
Different blogging platforms have different layouts, pros, and cons. It’s important to know the basics of each one to help you decide which platform can best service your needs and goals.
The most popular ones are the following:
- WordPress – gives users control over their blog. A basic WordPress blog is free but paid membership entitles users to expansive blogging tools, forums, and online store.
- Blogger – also comes free of charge. As it is a property of Google, users can enjoy Google’s security measures with their blog. However, Blogger designs are limited, and the entire blog may be suspended by Google anytime.
- Tumblr – a microblogging network with social media integration, Tumblr is most popular among young bloggers and readers.
- Wix – Wix is the platform for people wanting to build their own websites. It comes with drag-and-drop tools and customizable templates.
Keep these blogging tools must-haves:
Topic Generator – you need to regularly post content to keep your blog relevant and your readers happy. For days when you’re unsure about what to post, it’s worth to have a blog topic generator handy.
Hemingway App – even the best writers need help editing their work. The Hemingway App helps you keep your writing clear and more readable.
Yoast WordPress Plugin – a tool specially designed for SEO purposes, the Yoast WordPress Plugin helps bloggers get more traffic from search engines and social media.
Practice these basic blogging tricks:
- Focus on 1-2 long-tail keywords only. Gone are the days when you can cram as many keywords as you like into a single post just to lure in people to your site. Decide on 1-2 long-tail keywords only and spread them out in the title, headers, body, and the URL of your post.
- Use visual content. Incorporate images, videos, or GIFs to your textual content. Breaking up paragraphs with images, videos, or GIFs can help readers digest information better.
- Link internally. Linking to your other posts will extend the stay of readers in your blog and optimize your previous articles. This activity alerts Google about your authority in your niche.
- Don’t use default permalink structures. The URL structure of your posts should help people find your blog faster. It’s easier to remember links that look like this: https://blog.com/marketing than links that look like this: https://blog.com/m?0)_dza197=?D
- Hire a virtual assistant. Don’t think that hiring a virtual assistant is only for established companies. Working with an online assistant to help you with tasks that aren’t your forte – whether it’s video creation or web design – will go a long way. If you’re aiming to create a professional-looking blog, then it’s only fitting to hire professional help.
Apply all the takeaways from this SEO best practices cheat sheet for first-time bloggers and you’ll be sure to start on the right track.